Overview of Admission Criteria
We primarily offer service to people of First Nations ancestry and those persons who may be connected to a First Nations person through a marriage or common-law relationship. However, we do accept families without First Nations ancestry so long as independent funding is secured for each attending family member.
Family Program: Referral & Application Process
- Drug and Alcohol counselors, Social workers, Referral workers, Clinical counsellors, MCFD workers, DAA workers, etc. must refer families to our centre.
- Admission to Kackaamin is contingent on the availability of pre and post treatment counselling and follow-up plans.
- Only completed family applications will be reviewed by the Intake Decisioning Committee. Any missing information will be requested prior to review by the commitee
- All completed family applications that are brought to the Intake Decision Committee are reviewed based on their suitability to the program. After acceptance to the family program an intake date will be given to the referral worker.
- Please note that there is an undetermined wait time for all families.
Specific Pre-Admission Requirements
- Please feel free to contact our Intake Coordinator for further information should any questions arise.
- All clients must have a minimum of 6-8 weeks abstinence from any substance and a strong desire to remain clean and sober. We recommend individual treatment for detox and stabilization needs.
- Clients are required to attend a minimum of six 1-hour pre-treatment counselling and/or other support sessions in preparation for treatment.
- One or both of the attending adult family members must have an identified problem with alcohol and or drugs throughout their lives.
- Families must be free from any obligations that will require absence from Kackaamin (i.e. court appearances, doctor appointments in their home town, MCFD meetings, Big House ceremony attendance etc.)
- Client Family must be physically and mentally able to participate in an intense counselling experience.
- KFDC does not accept clients with a history or criminal conviction of sexual offences as we do not provide treatment to sexual offenders.
- KFDC is not obligated to accept a person who has been Court ordered to attend our program.
- Families must arrive on Intake Day between 12pm-4pm.
- All school aged children must bring English and Mathematic workbooks and any other schoolwork that is deemed important by their teacher to have completed during their 6-week absence from regular school.
Medical Pre-Admission Requirements
- A pre-admission medical is completed and signed by a physician/RN/CHN prior to admission, adults only, unless a child has a known illness or a family member has TB.
- TB Screening.
- All communicable diseases are under control, managed or in remission.
- Clients must have a valid Personal Health Care Number (PIN #) and Status Number.
- If you have chosen to immunize your children, all immunizations must be up to date.
- If you choose not to imunize your child(ren) we require a letter from a parent stating why they have chosen not to immunize children and the rationale.
- We are currently following the provincial guidelines & KDFC COVID-19 Protocols.
Family Session Referral Packages