We of the Kackaamin Family Development Centre are dedicated
to a holistic approach to individual and family healing and
growth. We believe in the intrinsic value of each human
being and that every individual has the power of healing
We strive to provide physically, emotionally, mentally, socially, and spiritually the environment in which each person and family can respond to and experience their goodness, thus recognizing their potential and making positive and definite choices that will enable them to cope better with life's challenges.
We believe addiction to be a chronic, progressive, and often fatal individual and family disease. Its progress and results can be controlled and healed within every individual.
We believe in the healing power of the Circle as guided by the energies of our creator. We believe recovery from substance abuse and other addictions is a lifelong process.
- Staff who will treat you with respect, knowledge, and experience.
- A program hundreds of families have participated in.
- A program designed to provide a structure for your day, support your goals, and understand your challenges and those of your family.
- A program that includes Elders who live in the community and participate in the sessions with their wisdom and encouragement.
- A program with three centres: adults, children, and youth, as well as babies and toddlers. Each centre shares goals, feelings, and experiences. Each centre respectfully teaches sharing, playing, and practicing new skills.
Regular Activities include:
- Start each day with Smudge and prayer.
- Adult sessions and sometimes family sessions
- Weekly personal counselling sessions
- Community games
- Community potluck dinner
- AA meetings: in and outside community
- Family night is to encourage family fun and new parenting skills through communication games, sharing feelings, organizing family chores, and whatever is important to you.
- Making the choice to take part in the program offered at KFDC requires courage, determination, self-knowledge, and a great love for your family. We will honor these virtues and welcome you with encouragement and respect.
Kackaamin employs Certified Addiction Counsellors that facilitate
educational workshops that broaden the knowledge of our
adult clientele on a variety of topics and issues. Weekly individual,
couple, and family counselling along with community
capacity building support sessions.
The educational workshops cover a variety of topics such as:
- Alcohol, drugs, and their effects
- Behavioral addiction
- Grief and loss
- Defense mechanisms
- Anger management
- Residential schools
- Spirituality and Cultural development
- Cultural and traditional teachings
- Healing ceremonies and sweat lodges.
- Recreation with your family
- AA/NA meetings
- "The Virtues Project"
- A parenting program
The children and youth have a full time school teacher and teacher´s aide. These two positions are funded by School District # 70. We ask that your children bring all English and Mathematics material from their respective schools. Your children will have the opportunity to see our Child and Youth Clinical Therapist during the session. The Learning Centre’s approach consists of many elements all rooted in the “Virtues project” wherein your child’s inner talents and strengths are named and developed throughout the session.
Our Toddler Centre Daycare is a nurturing and safe place for newborns and toddlers up to the age of five. The children participate in a variety of play activities that have therapeutic and gentle teachings such as aboriginal drumming and art therapy. We recognize that our toddlers will one day be our elders and we nurture any talents that they possess and welcome what they each have to show us about themselves.